Here are some questions I suggest you ask movers, especially if you are moving a substantial distance and are hiring a moving company.
These come from my own personal experience with multiple moves but 4 major RELOCATIONS (including Boston to California back in 2005) and specializing in relocating buyers and sellers.
- How long will the movers take to get your household goods to the new location?
- Do the movers take only your goods or are they picking up 1 or more?
- What does the insurance cost and what does it cover? Will they cover PBO boxes (that’s “packed by owner” – probably not but ask)
- If needed, will the movers drop off your main house and then at a storage unit?
- Will the movers provide storage at the new location if your new home is not ready?
- Will the movers need to use a shuttle truck to move things from your house to the van (if the drive or access to the home prohibit getting a large moving van close by, e.g., steep hills)
- What are the additional costs of shipping cars, boats, motorcycles and other homeowner toys?
- What are the costs of shipping items noted above?
- Are there additional charges for art, antiques and other expensive items? Can you /should you purchase additional insurance? This might also be a good question for your home owner’s insurance company.
- Does your home owners’ insurance cover any of the costs in the event of loss if the mover’s insurance does not cover it?
- What items will the mover not take, e.g., hazardous items
- Does it cost more to pack? Unpack? How much? When does this get done?
- Can the movers provide supplies before the move and will they drop them off? What does this cost?